Each year the University of Illinois Secretariat offers the Kathryn G. Hansen Scholarship competition to students planning to pursue higher education in the office professional, secretarial, or business-related fields. The Secretariat is an organization composed of employees in civil service classifications with qualifications that meet or exceed those of Office Support Associate. Ms. Hansen was one of the founding members of the State Universities Civil Service System and The Secretariat. In her honor, The Secretariat has created the Kathryn G. Hansen Scholarship Fund.
For the 2018-2019 academic year, one scholarship in the amount of $500 will be awarded. The scholarship is to be used for tuition, fees, books, or other related educational expenses. To be eligible applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be enrolled full time as a high school senior in the 2017-2018 academic year in Illinois, progressing normally toward graduation, and planning to enter college no later than the fall following graduation;
- have a strong commitment to pursue a higher education in an office professional, secretarial, or business-related field within the State of Illinois with preference given to attendance at the University of Illinois;
- involvement in co-curricular and community activities;
- demonstrate academic achievement;
- be a resident of Illinois;
- be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
The application is available on-line at http://publish.illinois.edu/se
The recipient will be asked to attend a presentation at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign campus to receive a certificate. A recipient unable to attend the presentation must contact the committee. If a recipient makes no direct contact with the committee once they have been notified, the scholarship is forfeited.